IMPORTANT INFORMATION: this role is not suitable for people who do not want to live in Australia. You can work in our head office in Melbourne or may be able to work remotely while located in Australia. All applicants may be considered for all open engineering roles across the Envato (Envato Market, Envato Tuts+, Envato Studio, etc.).
Headquartered in Melbourne, Australia, Envato is the leading marketplace for creative assets and creative people. With more than 300 staff and contractors worldwide, we’ve helped a community of creative sellers earn more than $500 Million. Millions of people around the world choose our marketplace, studio and courses to buy files, hire freelancers, or learn the skills needed to build websites, videos, apps, graphics and more.
Recently, JobAdvisor awarded us the title of Australia’s Coolest Company for Women and Diversity (2015 and 2016). We were also named as one of the Best Places to Work in Australia in the 2015 and 2016 BRW Awards.You might be surprised to know that not only do we run some of the biggest websites in the world; we’re also growing really fast!
Can you Meet the Expectations of Envato’s Engineering Team?
At Envato, our Engineers expect certain things of each other. Not all of these are easy to uphold. Are you ready to join the team and meet the expectations of your peers at Envato? Read about the expectations and how they were developed by our team on our technical blog.
What you’ll be doing
You will be working in the Envato Sites team. Envato Sites is a relatively new SaaS product from Envato, providing our customers with an easy way to launch a website without any special skills or technical knowledge. The platform includes tools for community-designed templates, tools for customers to edit content and preview their changes, hosting infrastructure and more. The team primarily uses React and Rails today.
As a Development Team Lead, your role will be to lead the Envato Sites engineering team. A typical delivery team has 3-7 engineers, and often works closely with specialist roles such as product management and user experience design.. You’ll be responsible for the team’s delivery of initiatives, as well as line management of the engineers in the team. On the technical side, you will ensure your team makes sound technical decisions and delivers right-sized solutions. You’ll also take ownership of the systems your team builds, which includes managing costs, risks, architecture, and operations.
What we’re looking for
- Substantial people management, team leadership and mentoring experience of at least two years
- Excellent communication and stakeholder management skills
- Proven effective in working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment, ideally using agile processes
- Highly self-motivated and directed
- Ability to effectively prioritise and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment requiring adaptability
- Displays integrity and ethical behaviour; interacts fairly, honestly and professionally in all business dealings
- Ability to increase the team’s output without slipping quality
- Ability to establish relationships and work with other business teams (support, marketing, legal, etc.)
- Ability to take and give constructive feedback
- Will promote the team within the local and global development communities
- Can display honesty, openness, fairness, transparency, and integrity in line with the Envato values
What we’ve got
- A great engineering team culture. Developers are responsible for features from inception through to them being in the hands of customers.Any team member can deploy, and we typically deploy several times a day.
- We publish portions of our code as open source, and contribute back to open source projects we use
- We were recently named Australia’s Coolest Tech Company by JobAdvisor and one of the Best Places to Work in Australia
- A fantastic culture of creatively minded, hard working people who are passionate about Envato and being part of its growth and success
- Flexible working conditions – we want you to love your work but also your life outside of Envato
- We actively work on creating a safe, inclusive environment free from discrimination
- In addition to hiring for our Melbourne CBD office, we will also consider applications from those who would like to work remotely (Australia wide)
- Future career progression will be available across the entire business – we’re big on internal opportunities and professional growth!
Who should apply?
We care deeply about diversity at Envato, and welcome applicants of all types, and from all backgrounds. If you think you have the skills and experience needed for this role then we’d like to hear from you. Accepting internal and external applications.
Submit a cover letter, an up to date copy of your resume and answers to the application questions. Good luck!